Saturday, August 15, 2009

Oh, Math

I have finally figured out why the fact that .999... = 1 bothered me so much. I have it worked out. THIS IS SUCH A RELIEF!!!


I KNOW that there is a number that is infinitely close to zero without actually equally zero, as is demonstrated in the graph of 1/X, just as there is a number that is infinitely far away from zero. In my head I was subtracting 1 - numberinfinitelyclosetozero, which should equal .999 repeating, right? WRONG.

Infinity and a number that is infinitely close but not equal to zero are concepts. Infinity - 1 is still infinity, and you can't do normal math with them and expect normal numbers to come up. .999... is not a number that is infinitely close to one without being one. It is one, because that is how the notation works. There is a number that is infinitely close to one, but is not one, I just don't know how to notate it simply.

ARE YOU HAPPY FOR ME? BE HAPPY FOR ME! I AM A NERD AND THIS PROBLEM WAS DRIVING ME NUTS!

(If you still don't believe this check out wikipedia.)

The way to notate a number that is infinitely close to zero but not actually zero is 1/∞ so if we try and say 1 - 1/∞ we have to rearrange it to say ∞/∞ - 1/∞ or (∞-1)/∞ which can't be solved with normal math. If we were looking for limits we would just say one.

OH MY GOD MY LIFE MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE NOW!!!!!

No comments: