Monday, September 22, 2008

Why Men Suck: A True Story

Hi! My name is Sarah and I am a feminist. Because I do not mention this enough. I am sure there is no indication elsewhere on this page that I am a feminist. BUT! The point of mentioning this here is I want to discuss what it means to me to be a feminist! There are many negative stereotypes associated with feminism, a big one is that we hate men. All lies. Despite the fact that I make several mentions of how much men suck, I am actually very fond of men. Some of my best men are friends. Or something like that. I merely mention this suckyness over and over again for laughs. I am trying to be funny. Because I like to pretend that this is humorous blog.

Now, while I don't hate men, I do foam a bit at the mouth. This may or may not be because of the rabies. I am a very angry person, though, (just look at that picture!) so my guess is that the foam is from my general rage. And boy do I have rage! I can rage about so many different topics! From the mundane to the... not mundane. Anyway! I am a feminist because: Sexism exists. It is real. And I hates it.

Now I have a very specific something I want to rant about: Body Image. Still, in today's culture, a woman's power comes from her appearance. As women we are bombarded with the propaganda that we must be SEXY and smart. This is, I suppose, better then feeling pressure to be merely sexy. Now, to be honest, shallow values is a trans-genderal epidemic, but women feel much more pressure to be perfect. (ok, ok, I've never been  a man, I don't really know.) This can be seen easily in commercials; there are a myriad of cosmetic commercials selling women glamour, clothing commercials selling her style, cleaning commercials selling her a family, a whole army of unattainable women with unattainable looks, doing unattainable things.

And I hate the whole concept of make up. I resent the implication that women have to paint their faces to be beautiful! (or that women have to be beautiful in the first place!)

The impetus behind this rant was that Saturday night I went out dancing (at the local gay club, which I call the gay bar, so that I can say "I have something to put in you, at the GAY BAR GAY BAR GAY BAR." My diction is ruled by song lyrics.) with a couple of male friends. And I wore my new corset. Because it pleases me. And it makes me hawt. And gives me unbelievable amounts of cleavage. But the point is not that I am one sexy beast, the point is that I normally dress pretty frumpily, and while I was going all femme fatal I met some of my straight male friends. And they acted different around me. They smiled more at me, talked to me more, were generally nicer. And these guys are people I respect. (I'm not even going to mention how the drunken idiots acted around me. God.) They respect me, they talk to me about "intellectual" things. They were still significantly nicer to me when I was beautiful. And this bothers me.

RAWR. I will rage against underlying problems in our culture that I have no chance of fixing!

1 comment:

Neptunian Woofbug Princes Jenni said...

Body image= Gross. People should be happy the way they are, however, we as women are pressured into having to be something that we're not.

Therefore, big boobs (Which requires fat) and big asses (Which also requires fat) and skinny ass waists (which requires no fat... and maybe a super corset) are extremely fashionable. ... Then again, so is the anorexic look that seems to be all the rage now.

Quite frankly, the concept of beauty is so freaking skewed now that it's no longer beautiful to look at. At least, the concept of it that Americans have of it.